Inside Cannes 2012 Day 8: Five Quotes from the On the Road Press Conference
May 23, 2012
1. “I got to live more in those four weeks than typical, for me in my normal life” – Kristen Stewart
The film began shooting in Montreal, where the actress took on the role of Marylou with a certain carefree abandon and freedom.
2. “The film was shot on over 100, 000 kilometers – we went really far to describe the last frontier that is in the book.” – Walter Salles
The filmmaker did an extensive research on the film for five years, retraced the spots, interviewed people and Beat generation poets and people like Wim Wenders during that time.
3. “We call it the boot camp – for four weeks we screened films about the period not only the Cassevetes, ….first films…example, The Exiles.” – Walter Salles
Montreal served as the starting point to where Salles informed his actors by giving them a three dimensional understanding of the characters and then tossed it aside.
4. “He would be riding in the car with what he thought was smoking a Camel cigarette, but it smelled a little bit funnier.” – Garrett Hedlund
The actor who plays the role of Dean Moriarty had the chance to speak and spend time with John, the son of Neal Cassady. It ws there he got to understand more of the soul that was not explored or detailed as much in the book. Above is one of the many anecdotes that was shared with Hedlund.
5. “Re-reading the book, I see how pertinent it is now.” – Viggo Mortensen
Despite the fact that the Coppolas had to wait three decades to make the film, the actor thinks the film will be better received in this period where the future generations who are at the forefront of the protest movements – carry the spirit of that time.
Other Movie Sites »