1. “I cut them off”. - Jacques Audiard
When asked about how he made Marion Cotillard disappear, the filmmaker explains that he would not have been able to create the amputee look a decade back because the technology wasn’t as precise, and as simple.
2. “We asked ourselves how to put some sun in this story”. - Thomas Bidegain
Co-writer discusses how they took novelist Craig Davidson’s world of raw, hard, solitary figures with a broken destiny and made it their own.
3. “Last week they called me for Rambo 34” – Matthias Schoenaerts
When asked what his career path in the U.S might look like, the actor mentioned that he has received offers from the U.S. for buff action-like roles.
4. “She admires his courage”. - Jacques Audiard
The filmmaker hates violence and yet finds himself returning to it and is almost fascinated by it. He details that Marion’s character is drawn to not his violent streak in Ali (Matthias Schoenaerts) but rather admires his courage.
5. I naturally consider Marion, I knew, wanted our paths would cross. I was touched in what she did in Olivier Dahan’s film. – Jacques Audiard
Cotillard’s performance in La mome as Edith Piaf is why the filmmaker choose the thesp for the female lead.
Note: All quotes above are French to English translations.